Introduction to our courses
At Central School of English, you will benefit from a wide range of courses that suit all ages (minimum age 16*) and interests. Whether you want to learn English for personal or professional purposes, we have a course that's right for you. Lessons are held in small classes with a maximum of 8 students for our skills classes and 12 for our workshops, meaning you receive maximum student-teacher contact time. Individual tuition is also offered to supplement group courses.
Our lessons are based on the belief that clear aims and hard work achieve the best results. All lessons are taught in accordance with our in-house style, the essential features of which are:
- Transparent objectives, clearly identified at the beginning of each lesson
- Focus on key language skills and language learning strategies
- Appropriate time limits set for each activity
- A pace calculated to challenge the learner at all times
- Considerable interaction between teacher-student, and student-student as appropriate
You can expect to be taught English as a life skill, rather than a school subject. This means that you can look forward to classes that are focused around you and your individual needs, undertaking topical tasks that are relevant and interesting to you.
Our teaching staff are crucial to your success and have been recruited not only for their qualifications and experience but also for their enthusiasm, commitment and dedication. All teachers are trained in the Central School style which means there are clear aims for each lesson and the focus is on developing key language skills and learning strategies.
You can begin your course on any Monday and study for as long as you wish, from one week to one year. You decide when and how long you want to study.
* under exceptional circumstances students aged 15 can attend the school if accompanied by a parent or guardian to and from school every day.
We also accept closed groups of young students aged 14 plus so long as they are accompanied by a group leader. Students study in separate classes from the adult students. Please enquire for more details.